Hiya, I’m Zach – Drinks Director at Mikaku – and we’re looking for a Cocktail Bar Manager to help us as we expand our recently revamped cocktail program. As a bar, our goal is to create an exceptional experience for our guests, to surprise & delight with radical hospitality, to make aesthetically-stunning delicious art, and to create a workplace and a community space of comfort and conviviality. Our new Japanese-inspired cocktails are weird and whimsical with culturally-considerate names and themes, easy yet innovative garnishes, and unique spirit and flavour combos. Our venue looks like a multiple level movie set of a Japanese yokocho (izakaya bar / yakatori alley) connected by staircases, balconies, and faux storefronts. My goals, your goals, and the business goals will all be different, valued, addressed, and worked toward.
“Gastronomy is one of the most multidisciplinary and complex disciplines where biology, physics, chemistry and social sciences meet and coexist, creating different links.”
-Esther Merino Velasco, Alchemist (Copenhagen)
Step 1: A Google Form with short, skills-based questions
Step 2: A 15-min interview via phone or other audio medium
Step 3: In-person interviews with our team with questions that align to the competencies for the role and to the values of the organization measured against standardized rubrics for scoring candidate responses.
Hourly Pay, Range: 12.50-13 /hr x 4-5 Shifts a Week
(Dependent on skills and assigned responsibilities)
Shift Times: Days (10-7), Nights (5-1); Open 7 days
We are looking for someone capable of managing a diverse group of bartenders and floortenders with organization, empathy, and care for the people and the business. Most of your off-the-bar duties will be weekly ordering of ingredients, bi-weekly rota management, and management of the 6 current bar staff.
You will work closely with our Drinks Director, Zach Sapato, in an innovative cocktail program to keep it well-run and efficient in our busy restaurant and cocktail bar. You will be expected to learn and work with our online stock systems and multiple suppliers.
We ask that you join us in working to foster a genuine commitment to hospitality with a heart of compassion, coherence, and consistency.
– Proficient communication with upper management as well as staff
– Considerate critical thinking
– Problem-solving and resourcefulness
– Patience and understanding around neurodivergent staff
– Enthusiastic guest engagement
– Good organizational abilities
– Ability to provide, as well as receive and apply constructive feedback
– Willingness to learn and work with online stock systems
Not required, but interesting and helpful to know if you also have:
– Mixology experience
– In-depth knowledge of beers, sakes, spirits, or wine
– Great patter
– Experience working in Project Management
– Background in any marketing
– Background in any science
– Any restaurant management books you’ve read
We will teach you and expect you to get good at:
– Advanced management techniques
– Strategies around modern managing of creatives
– Use of work communication app/website (Slack)
– Advanced cocktail making techniques
– Our methodology and approach to hospitality and guest experience
– We will also teach you literally anything you want to learn about that’s even remotely related to the job. If we know it, we will teach you, if we don’t know it, we will work to find someone who does.
– Free Staff Meal on shift
– Paid breaks (not a brag, but apparently big companies don’t so we’re told it’s worth mentioning)
– Friends & Fam Discount
– 50% off food & drink under £10 at Max’s
– Free entry to most DJ sets, gigs, shows, & parties at sibling venues (Max’s, Le Cheetah, and Room 2)
– No uniform (professional self-expression encouraged)
– Access and tickets to many free brand-sponsored meals, activities, and parties
– Paid learning and job development opportunities